PHDgraphics

I have been a designer for over 20 years. Worked at many levels and even was a lecturer of design at a university or two. If you have questions about branding, ask them here and I will do my best to answer them.

Poll: What is your streaming platform?
PHDgraphics
December 16, 2018
What is your streaming platform?
Be the first person to like this.
Twitchygamer434
How do you normally advise ppl on picking their brand. Like for me that has been one of the hardest things about streaming seriously. I have my emblems/ logo i have emotes, but the deciding this is the line my channel runs in. Is by far the hardest thing i have to try and decide on.
2 people like this.
PHDgraphics
The start of any brand is the logo, everything else is a reflection or echo of it.
Here's what I mean: Your logo will set in place
- your main color/s (other than black/white/grey)
- your main font (the font that will then be used in everything else)
- your main icon (the image that reminds them of your logo)
Once you have firmly established that, you can then use them to create all the other visual elements/graphics that you need (brand assets)
The goal of having a brand is to ensure that people start to recognize you and your channel at a glance. (brand recognition) You achieve this by repeating the same things, the same way, EVERY TIME!
2 people like this.
Ryan Miller
You can make any logo for any name popular. Hack look at Uber ... It's just a letter u. and look at their name who would have thought the word Uber will be worldwide.
2 people like this.
PHDgraphics
Lets not confuse branding with a logo. Yes a logo is the visual representation of a brand, but in truth the brand is about the personality of the organisation.
Example: If you are a kindergarten for small children, you want to be seen as a fun healthy environment that will contribute to the wellbeing of the child. Therefore the logo is built on those ideas. A crayon look, primary colors (red/blue/yellow) a house icon (for family/home/growth)
It is the brand that decides what all the graphics look like and should be.
2 people like this.
Twitchygamer434
I get ya completely! i thought the question would get a good answers lol . It is also truthfully a hard thing to decide for your channel. Take mine for instance ... i love my American themed skull. I reflect the same color scheme on my overlays .
The problem i ran into after setting everything up . Was the way i wanted my channel to feel as People visit. Yes my stuff looks bad apples .. but i dont play a ton of shooting games as the skull might lead ppl to beleve. I play a lot of rpgs, and city builders.
Would you suggest that People take into account the type of games they are mainly going to play when lining out their channels personality? Or would you more go towards how the streamer is going to be holding themselves on camera ?
I like to Kick them gears and see if they
start smoking lol ...
3 people like this.
PHDgraphics
As everyone says 1000 times. People choose who to follow and support based on the personality of the streamer. The games you play may get them to visit you that 1st time, but it is in fact your personality that makes them stay. If you are a dedicated fortnite streamer then yes... thats a no brainer. But if you play a few games and want to try out different games all the time, then base it on the personality of your channel.
The most difficult thing people struggle with is defining exactly what that personality is. NEWSFLASH: the streamers opinion of his personality doesn't really mean much. It is about what your viewers think it is
2 people like this.
Ryan Miller
I get what you are saying now about your logo. I was under the impression you were talking about starting up a new name and logo.
As far as the logo goes you want to keep it as simple as possible. This way people actually remember your logo.
You may not want to base your logo off a game, let's say you get famous 5 years down the road you may not be playing that game anymore. Or even that game type.
Twitchy - I personally recommend PhD if you are considering a logo change. He is one of our trusted designers
1 person likes this.
PHDgraphics
well a lot of logo people use arent related in anyway to them at all. I have seen one game streamer named "Sargent Pickles" he plays destiny mainly and is loud and rage gamer. His logo is of a red n black ninja.
Its a great lookin ninja logo, but... in no way does it relate to him, his name, his channels personality or the games he plays. If later on he develops a stealth strat in game, or plays stealth games or changes his name to red ninja pickle... then nothing to worry about.
Otherwise his brand is far away from attracting the audience that seek out raging destiny gamers. His brand will in fact attract people interested in ninja games, stealth games and a stealth game personality.
You create your logo based on your channels personality, and it will appeal to likeminded viewers. Thats its purpose
1 person likes this.
Professor Skittleson
@PHDgraphics I like this insight. I dont like being a one-game gamer. Playing multiple games and talking about what is going on reveals a great personality that people want to say. Seeing Ninja play multiple games with a personality allowed him to explode in popularity because thats what his viewers wanted.
3 people like this.
BatchGamingTV
I had a number of logo changes throughout my streaming times and I had one logo done by a Mixer streamer called shadymonk3y who watched my streams and got the perfect logo for my stream brand which is the current one I have as my logo now.
1 person likes this.
PHDgraphics
That is a great example of what you need to look for in a designer, One that views your content, understands what you are about and the personality of your stream. Then is able to provide you with a visual representation of that personality.
You should be very happy as it is obvious he did a great job.
PHDgraphics
NEW QUESTION: whats the difference between a good Logo and a good Avatar?
lets see what you think
Ryan Miller
Hey Avatar is more of a cartoon figure. But a cartoon can also be a logo... Very good question... I want to see what other people have to say about it too.
1 person likes this.
PHDgraphics
A persons avatar should in fact be a part of his/her logo. Either the image/icon used in the logo or the name on the logo in the same font colour layout. For example: If this is the Logo that represents you and your channel: Then your Avatar should use the same elements: In this way it relates back to your LOGO which is the core of your brand identity. If however if your AVATAR is radically different from your LOGO, there is no connection to you, your brand or your channel as it is now all a mix of random images.